On Wednesday the 24th September our President/Ambassador, Sebastien Foucan visited the at the Coopers’ Company and Coborn School in Upminster, to celebrate the huge success of the Sporting Promise programme and launch this years involvement from Parkour UK
Seb, who was delighted to see more young people trying out Parkour/Freerunning, said:
“Sporting Promise is having a great impact in schools and encouraging more young people to be physically active through non-traditional sports like Parkour/Freerunning. It is fantastic to be able to visit the school today and see first-hand the excitement and enthusiasm of everyone involved.”
Here are some photos from the event:
Not everyone enjoys traditional sports like football, rugby and cricket so the Sporting Promise – yoUR Activity programme co-ordinated nationally by the Youth Sport Trust and supported by Matalan & Sporting Pro, offers secondary school pupils the chance to get involved with sport in a fun and energetic way – mainly through trying alternative sports like Parkour/Freerunning. This year marks our fourth year of invlovement in the programme, building on the previous three years of success.
yoUR Activity aims to increase participation and whole school impact, thereby addressing the drop-off in sports participation in 14-16 year olds; particularly in pupils who are not attracted to mainstream or traditional sports. Pupils can enjoy themselves and be active by trying sports like Parkour/Freerunning, but also other sports including Dodgeball, Jump Rope, Lacrosse, Rowing, Street Cheer, Tchoukball and Ultimate Frisbee.
Other benefits are clear to see, yoUR Activity:
- improves the sports offer and widens the breadth of provision in schools;
- creates a mechanism to support transition into club and community sport;
- motivates young people to develop leadership skills; and
- equips young people with the ability and desire to continue their involvement in sporting activity beyond their school life.
The Youth Sport Trust co-ordinates the programme nationally for schools involved in the programme, allowing teachers to understand how to make the most of the programme. Teachers will have access to a yoUR Activity resource pack which shows how a range of activities can be easily integrated into a school setting using existing facilities.
This year we are working with 4 lead schools in England; The Deanes School in Colchester; Corpus Christi in Leeds; Bristol Gateway in Bristol; Coopers Coborn, in London.
We will be delivering 3 ‘days’ of engagement to each school plus a one day at a national event. For each school the 3 ‘days’ are split as:
- 1 day – Parkour UK Sports Leaders UK Award in leading Parkour/Freerunning course for Secondary School pupils (yr10/11)
- 1 day – Parkour UK 1st4sport CPD Introductory CPD Award in Teaching Parkour/Freerunning (QTS) course for Teachers
- 1 day – A Masterclass and a 30-45min Q&A/meet and greet with Sebastien Foucan
If you would like more information on the Sporting Promise programme please contact us on email@example.com or 02 3544 5834