What does this qualification cover?
The objective of the Parkour UK 1st4sport Level 1 Parkour/Freerunning Assistant Coach is to provide a benefit to learners through an introduction into the principles and practice of safe, ethical and effective management of assistant coaching Parkour/Freerunning sessions in an appropriate environment.
Who is this qualification designed for?
This qualification is designed for aspiring Parkour/Freerunning coaches to be supported in the development of their knowledge of how to effectively assist the coaching of Parkour/Freerunning sessions.
|Guided Learning Hours||24|
|Total Qualification Time||28|
|SFA/LAD Funding Code||6000492/7|
|Apprenticeships||Knowledge component of the Intermediate Apprenticeship in Activity Leadership (coaching pathway)|
|Qualification Operational Start Date||01/04/2011|
|Qualification Review Date||31/12/2019|
|Certification End Date||31/12/2020|
The Parkour UK 1st4sport Level 1 Parkour/Freerunning Assistant Coach has been developed in partnership with Parkour UK, the national governing body of sport for Parkour/Freerunning and is the first qualification on the Parkour/Freerunning coaching ladder. The qualification is designed to provide learners with an introduction to the practical and theoretical aspects of coaching Parkour/Freerunning. The foundation level of knowledge recognised in this qualification will enable them to develop an understanding of the safe, ethical and effective management and coaching of Parkour/Freerunning. Learners who complete this Award will be able to assist other, more qualified coaches in delivering Parkour/Freerunning coaching sessions to participants of all ages.
This qualification is equivalent to Level 2 on the European Qualifications Framework (EQF).
Learners are required to:
- be accurately identified
- be at least 16 years of age (prior to attending the course)
- be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing). Learners must be able to understand the requirements of the qualification and the information within the qualification materials in English without assistance. Where there is demand, this qualification may also be available in Welsh or Irish
- hold a valid first-aid certificate (minimum of three hours) recognised by Parkour UK in the last three years
- have attended a child protection/safeguarding workshop recognised by Parkour UK in the last three years
The first aid and/or safeguarding prerequisites, for those who do not already hold the appropriate evidence, will normally be provided as part of the learning programme at an additional cost.
- hold a personal accident insurance for the duration of the course or hold a valid registration with the Parkour UK – Parkour Professionals Register
If you have any injuries, illnesses, permanent, long-term or temporary disability, a learning difficulty or indisposition, you must inform Parkour UK so you can apply for special consideration from 1st4sport by completing and returning an Access Request Form.
The Parkour UK 1st4sport Level 1 Parkour/Freerunning Assistant Coach qualification is divided into the following Tasks;
Task 1 – Introduction to the Role of an Assistant Coach
Task 2 – Effective Communication: Learning and Coaching
Task 3 – Plan for Parkour/Freerunning Coaching Activities
Task 4 – Health, Safety, Accidents and Emergencies
Task 5 – The Spirit of Parkour/Freerunning
Tasks 1 – 5 are to be completed during the course, but in your own learning time.
Task 6 – Online Assessment Paper
A 45 minute multiple choice online assessment paper to assess your knowledge and understanding of Coaching (Introduction to Safe and Ethical Coaching, Preparing to Deliver Coaching Activities & Deliver and Review Coaching Activities) and Parkour/Freerunning (The History, Philosophy and Spirit, Technical Knowledge& Strength and Conditioning). 50 marks are available and the pass mark is 80% (40 marks).
Tasks 6 are to be completed during the course, but in your own learning time prior to undertaking Task 7 on the final day of the course.
Task 7 – Assisting the Delivery of Parkour/Freerunning Coaching Activities
Assist the delivery of the planned activity, incorporating appropriate skills and techniques of Parkour/Freerunning at this level that you will have planned in Task 3. The tutor/assessor will observe you delivering the activity and assess you using the criteria listed on the Level 1 Parkour/Freerunning Practical Coaching Assessment Checklist.
Task 7 are to be completed during the course as part of the assessment day.
Task 8 – Supervised Coaching Sessions
Learners are required to assist qualified Parkour UK 1st4sport Level 2 Parkour/ Freerunning Coach for six sessions post-course;
- All 6 sessions must be completed
- Each session must be a minimum of one hour in length
- All sessions must be supervised and signed by a qualified Parkour UK 1st4sport Level 2 Parkour/Freerunning coach
- All sessions cannot be supervised and signed off by the same Level 2 coach
It is recommended that this is completed within 3 months of the course; however you do have a maximum one-year registration period in which to complete this. These sessions will provide you with the opportunity to experience real life coaching and gain an understanding of what it is like to be an assistant to a Level 2 coach, therefore fundamental to your learning. It is your responsibility to arrange and complete these sessions within the one-year registration period.
Once you have completed your supervised coaching session, you will need to send a copy (either photocopy or photograph/scan) of the completed supervised coaching record to:
Post: Parkour UK, 10 Queen Street Place, London EC4R 1AG
Email: [email protected]
Please keep the original supervised coaching record in this learner pack. You will not receive certification for the qualification until you have sent the signed record back.
The qualification is divided into the following units:
|Unit Title||Accreditation Number||GLH||Credit|
|101||Understanding the Fundamentals of Coaching Sport||D/601/3531||6||1|
|102||Understanding the Principles of Planning Coaching Activities in Sport||H/601/3532||10||1|
|103||Understanding the Principles of Conducting Coaching Activities in Sport||K/601/3533||10||1|
|104||Understanding the Principles of Evaluating Coaching Activities in Sport||M/601/3534||7||1|
|105||Planning Parkour/Freerunning Coaching Activities||T/602/5698||6||1|
For learners, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- Parkour UK 1st4sport Level 1 Parkour/Freerunning Assistant Coach Learner Pack
- Parkour UK 1st4sport Level 1 Parkour/Freerunning Assistant Coach Learner Resource
- Internal assessment tools
- Information handouts
- UK Coaching Code of Practice for Sports Coaches.
For our tutors, the qualification is supported by the following resources:
- Generic administrative guidance and tools for recognised centres
- Qualification Specification outlining the requirements of delivering and assessing the qualification, including a recommended learning programme
- Tutor/Assessor/Verifier Guidance Pack
- Internal assessment tools
We really appreciate your feedback on your learning and assessment experience. We use this feedback to revise and amend our qualifications to ensure they remain current and valued.
Fees are charged per learner and provide registration and certification for the qualification, as well as a Parkour UK 1st4sport Learner Pack and Learning Resource.
|Type||Pre-Requisite fee||Course Fee||Discount requirements|
|Standard||£50pp per pre-requisite||£375.00pp||n/a|
|Associate Member Organisation||£50pp per pre-requisite||£360.00pp||When booked by an organisation with a valid Associate membership with Parkour UK. Please contact us with your membership number for a discount code.|
|Affiliate Member Organisation||£50pp per pre-requisite||£350.00pp||When booked by an organisation with a valid Affiliate/Affiliate+ membership with Parkour UK. Please contact us with your membership number for a discount code.|
Terms & Conditions:
- Payments for course must be made in full prior to the commencement of the course.
- The course fee covers all reasonable costs associated to complete the qualification, and where a no-show for assessment or a re-assessment is necessary. There is an additional fee payable to cover the cost of a re-assessment.
- In order to qualify for the registration and/or membership discount, learners must have the correct level of membership prior to booking.
- In order to qualify for the membership discounts, the learner’s organisation must be members of Parkour UK prior to booking.
- Learners must arrange their own personal accident insurance cover for the duration of the course.
- Learners must attend all course dates unless an exemption is granted in writing by the course organiser.
- No refunds shall be given for learners who fail to attend any course dates
- Learners who withdraw from the course for any reason will be subject to the following cancellation policy:
- Cancellation within 7 days of the course start date – No refund of course fee, a 25% fee will be discounted from the cost of a future course.
- Cancellation within 14 days of the course start date – 50% of course fee refunded, minus a 10% handling fee. A 25% fee will be discounted from the cost of a future course.
- Cancellation up to 28 days prior to the course start date – 100% refundable upon notification, minus a 10% handling fee
25% of the course fee paid will be discounted from the cost of a futures course of the same level booked by the learner within 12 months of the cancelled course start date.
The Funding Opportunities for Coaching in the UK guide provides details about funding available to support coaches. Produced by UK Coaching in partnership with the England Coaching Network, Governing Bodies of Sport and the Home Country Sports Councils the interactive PDF allows the user to quickly identify the right funding for them. Download the Funding Opportunities for Coaching in the UK guide by clicking here.
Learners are able to book on the courses by clicking the links below.
Please note that the dates, locations and courses may change throughout the year. Additional courses may be added throughout 2019 to meet sufficient need and demand.
This qualification sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). Further information about the benefits of the framework can be found by visiting the Ofqual website.